It’s Not an Email List, It’s a Relationship

Of course, technically your email addresses are a list. It’s a list of people who purchased a product or service from you or said yes to an offer you made at some point in the past. For whatever reason, they agreed that they’d like to know what you’re up to, what’s new with your business, and be alerted to offers and other information that resonates with them. If used wisely, your email list isn’t a list… it’s a relationship.

You may be focusing your relationship-building efforts on social media. That seems reasonable and obvious, and should be part of your connection strategy, but there are risks that come with using social media as your relationship currency.

Were you aware that?

  • You don’t own any of the content that you put on social media.
  • You can’t control what happens to your posts or your access to your social media subscribers if the rules change or the platform goes down.
  • Your posts aren’t guaranteed to reach your intended audience.

That last point is important. As the platforms continue to monetise their businesses the organic reach of your posts has been impacted. To take Facebook as an example, organic reach is typically less than 2% of your followers. To reach the remaining 98% you will need to pay.

Social media is bright and shiny. It’s fun, it’s easy, and people do engage one another very well and there’s no denying it has power, but it’s fleeting. Social media should be a gateway to attract new people for your email list, but social media is not a list in and of itself.

Note that social media ads are a great way to advertise offers and freebies for your business but the goal should always be to capture the prospect’s email address and add them to your list because…

Your email list is where the gold lies. The more often and the better you engage your list, the greater the return on your investment.

Start Looking at Your List as Real People with Real Needs

Your list is filled with living, breathing people who, like you, are moving through their day being pulled in multiple directions with many sources competing for their attention. As you well know, being seen requires something unique and individualised. Standing out gets you noticed. Start looking at your list as real people with real needs and begin to speak to them in that manner.

Building a relationship with your list is the key to higher open rates and more engagement. There’s nothing out of the ordinary that is needed in order to get to know your list and help them get to know you. In fact, it’s like having a one-on-one conversation. Here are some key components to building your relationship with your list – think CAVE:

Be Consistent

Be Authentic

Be Valuable

Be Engaging

The CAVE method covers all the components of high-quality relationship-building activities via your list. The more you follow these prompts, the more active your list will be and the more effectively your message will resonate and translate to sales.

Copyright © 2022

Elizabeth Charles (London) Ltd
T/A Bubyli Internet Marketing
7 Brackens Drive, Brentwood, Essex CM14 5UE
Tel: 01277 552040
Sitemap

Site design by Bubyli

digital marketing magazine

Stuck for ideas on how to best market your business online?

 

Get the latest strategies, tips and techniques to get more leads for your local business and make more sales.

 
Grow your business today!

You have successfully secured your copy.